Your participation is important to our future.
If you are a member in good standing with us, please consider submitting an application to become a volunteer member of the HawaiiUSA Federal Credit Union Board of Directors.
Applications for nominations to fill three 2023-2024 HawaiiUSA Board of Director vacancies are now being accepted for consideration by the Nominations and Elections Committee. The three vacancies are for three year terms each. Basic qualifications for applicants are as follows:
- Must be a member of HawaiiUSA for at least one year (membership open prior to December 31, 2021) and in good standing;
- Must be at least 18 years of age as of December 31, 2022;
- Has read the HawaiiUSA Board of Directors Information and is willing to accept the responsibilities of that office
Board of Directors assume fiduciary responsibility, do not receive compensation, and may require many hours of time commitment. Some of the skills and competencies needed are:
- Ability to understand and appreciate the Mission of HawaiiUSA and needs of its members;
- Independent minded to advocate for the members’ best interests and demonstrates leadership skills;
- Financial literacy encompassing a working familiarity of basic finance and accounting practices and procedures;
- Risk Management experience in evaluating the opportunities and challenges of HawaiiUSA in the financial services industry
- Governance experience to lead HawaiiUSA in its “Life matters” commitment; and
- Diplomacy and strong network of community contacts.
Online applications must be completed and submitted by August 12, 2022.
Interviews for all potential candidates will be held with HawaiiUSA’s Nominations and Elections Committee on August 18, 2022. Each candidate is required to participate in the interview session prior to being considered for nomination by the Nominations and Elections Committee.
After considering all qualified candidates, the Nominations/Elections Committee will nominate one individual for each vacant position and will send written notification of their decision on or about August 20, 2022, to all applicants. For more information, please contact our Call Center at (808) 534.4300 (on Oahu) or toll-free at (800) 379.1300.
The Board of Directors are responsible for the general direction and control of the credit union. Some of the major Board responsibilities include:
- Engage in ongoing planning activities as necessary to determine the mission of HawaiiUSA and its strategic direction, to define goals and objectives related to the mission, and to evaluate the success of the organization's service toward achieving the mission.
- Approve policies that further HawaiiUSA's mission and goals while also ensuring the effective, efficient, and cost-effective operation of the organization.
- Periodically review the aforementioned policies to access their relevance to HawaiiUSA's changing needs.
- Approve the annual budget and access the financial performance in relation to the budget.
- Maintain the financial stability of HawaiiUSA while ensuring opportunities for long term growth.
- Hire, set compensation for, and annually evaluate the performance of the CEO.
- Support the CEO as needed to accomplish HawaiiUSA's mission and goals.
- Ensure that an annual monitoring of internal controls is conducted annually, and that a summary of the results of the review are provided to the Board.
Each Board of Director is expected to:
- Prepare for and attend Board meetings, usually held on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
- Participate in professional development training.
- Meet NCUA requirement for financial literacy within 90 days of being elected.
- Attend annual Strategic Planning session.
- Serve/participate on various Board/Management committees.
- Attend Board related events (Annual Membership Meeting, Annual Dinner, etc.).
- Commit to the full term for which you are elected.
- Maintain confidentiality of all matters, as required.